The Community Theatre Division was one of the initial units that helped form the Florida Theatre Conference in 1955. Membership in Florida Theatre Conference allows its members to belong to the umbrella organization Florida Association of Community Theatres.
Membership in the Florida Theatre Conference brings your organization:
- greater exposure through regional and national competition in the Southeastern Theatre Conference,
- a “tried and true” advertising outlet through the inclusion of your theatre’s performance schedule in our three yearly newsletters,
- the addition of a link on our website which can directly connect visitors to your theatre,
- inclusion of your organization with website address in the FTC Annual Festival program,
- participation in two annual events specifically focused on the needs of community theatres in Florida.
- inclusion of your productions schedule on the monthly calendar of the FTC website.
The Community Theatre Division sponsors two events during the year:
Spring Fling – A community theatre focused networking opportunity. A different community theatre hosts it each spring. This event is free to all FTC members.
Community Theatre Festival – An annual fall competition that takes place during the Florida Theatre Conference Festival. It is hosted by Santa Fe College in Gainesville, Florida.
Network with other Florida community theatres – discuss and gain useful insight on:
- Increasing ticket sales
- Broadening a subscription base
- Learning proven fundraising techniques
- Recruiting more volunteers
- Selecting your theatre season
- Sharing Best Practices with other Community Theatre Leaders
The Community Theatre Festival- Friday Afternoon through Saturday Afternoon
The Community Theatre Festival is centered on the following activities:
- Community Theatres present productions and compete against one another to represent the State of Florida at the SETC Festival each March. The winner(s) of this competition represents the state of Florida at the Southeastern Theatre Conference Festival the following March, where it/they compete with the nine other states of SETC.
- Three professional adjudicators will provide personal feedback to your troupe immediately following your performance. This is a unique learning opportunity.
- Fall Fling – a special workshop solely for community theatre professionals will be held allowing for networking and industry specific discussion.
- Marketing/Grant Writing workshop – a workshop presented by a specialist in grant writing will assist you in maximizing your marketing plan and building a grant writing base for future development.
- Workshops and seminars are provided for improving skills in production, direction, design, and acting. These are skill sets that can directly translate to the stage.
Attending the Festival?
Florida Theatre Conference’s Annual Festival is held at Santa Fe College, in Gainesville, Florida. The Santa Fe College campus is lush, beautiful, and walking friendly. Free parking and an on-site food court are extra bonuses. FTC has blocked rooms at several nearby local hotels, to ensure space and a theatre friendly rate. Bus transportation is NOT provided from our to and from the hotels. A campus map, hotel registration information, and dining options can all be found by clicking on the festival tab at the top of the website main page.
The 65+ workshops, Vendor Expo, High School One-Act Play Festival, Middle School Play Festival, and Theatre for Youth Play Festival and Community Theatre Festival, DraMature and Inclusion Showcases are all included with your festival registration. Any Community Theatre interested in bringing a group to the Festival will find forms and information in the list at the left of the page. Many of these forms can be submitted online, with a credit card payment option. If you are uncomfortable using online registration forms, you may request hard copy forms by email through our contact page (remember to click on registration when doing this), or by calling us directly at 727-544-8913.
The Community Theatre Play Festival will be staged in the E Building Theatre right on campus. Technical information for this theatre can be found in the forms listing at the left of this web page. To enhance your stage production, the Santa Fe College Fine Arts Department has made some specialized equipment available for rental. The listing can be found at the bottom of the Group Registration Form. Day passes are available for any interested family members for a nominal fee. They can be purchased on the day of the Festival, at the registration desk in the Fine Arts Hall. Any community theatre organization interested in bringing a play for competition in the Community Theatre Play Festival must register online using the Play Festival Registration Form found in the list at the left of this page. Your community theatre group with playbill will be featured in the Festival Program issued to each person attending the Festival. If your theatre would like to advertise its participation in the Community Theatre Play Festival, an online form can be found in the forms list. For a nominal fee, your theatre will gain maximum exposure in the Festival program.
Please call or email the FTC Community Theatre Representative for further information about the rules and regulations as specified by the American Association of Community Theatres (AACT). A direct link to the AACT website can be found in the forms list at the left of this page. Call as soon as possible because theatre space can be limited.
The Community Theatre Division Chair is:
Director of Diversity
140 West Tampa Avenue
Venice, Florida 34285
(941) 488-1115 ext. 247
Present a Workshop at the Festival!
Each year more than 1,500 college/university, high school, and middle school students, along with theatre for youth and community theatre participants, attend the FTC Festival.
As part of the Festival there are more than 65 workshops presented.
We encourage you to share your unique specialty and be a part of the Festival by presenting a workshop.
It is an excellent way to see the talent that is attending the Festival and provide a community service for the State of Florida.
To register please fill out the Workshop Presentation Form.
Group Registration Form:
Individual Registration Form:
Play Festival Registration Form:
Workshop Presentation Form